- Online & In-Cinema
CODED tells the story of legendary illustrator J.C. Leyendecker, a gay man who created early-20th century advertisements coded with LGBTQ imagery, quietly acknowledging a community forced to live in the closet. The documentary explores Leyendecker's legacy as a grandfather of modern advertising, discussing how today's out and proud LGBTQ2SIA+ advertisements are built upon a foundation laid by Leyendecker.
Beautifully animated and narrated by Neil Patrick Harris, CODED is a wonderfully revelatory biopic of lesser-known LGBTQ2SIA+ icons. Filmmaker Ryan White (ASSASSINS, CIFF 2020) is back at the festival with a much shorter but no less inventive take on documentary filmmaking.
Available online from Friday, September 24 at 9 AM to Sunday, October 3 at 11:59 PM.
- Tribeca 2021 - Best Documentary Short
- Tribeca 2021, AFI Docs 2021
- Ryan White
- Executive Producer
- Sara Bernstein, Justin Wilkes, Kimberly Doebereiner, Brent Miller, Marc Pritchard, Zoë Morrison
- Conor Fetting-Smith, Marc Gilbar, Jessica Hargrave, Christopher Leggett, Rafael Marmor
- Ronan Killeen, David Paul Jacobson
- Rejh Cabrera
- Blake Neely
- Neil Patrick Harris