This joyous documentary follows Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo, an all-male drag ballet company founded after the Stonewall riots.
Traditionally thought of as a "high art", ballet can have a reputation. Stuffy. Highbrow. Too old-fashioned. But the New York-based company of Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo has spent the last 40 years destroying those stereotypes with their irreverent drag ballet. Now, REBELS ON POINTE offers a glimpse behind the scenes of this all-male troupe as they tour the world with their satirical take on ballet classics. Scenes of performances are also inter-cut with stories from the birth of the troupe in the aftermath of the Stonewall riots and a rising wave of gay activism in the 1970s.
As REBELS ON POINTE follows Les Ballets from their first shows in crowded artist lofts to their international cult following, we're offered an inspiring look at how dance can break down barriers across cultures and political lines, one pirouette at a time.
- Attending Guests
- Director | Co-Producer Bobbi Jo Hart at both screenings
- InsideOut Film Festival Toronto, Best Canadian Feature; MiFo LBGTQ Film Festival Miami, Best Documentary Feature; San Luis Obispo International Film Festival, Best Documentary Feature; Santa Barbara International Film Festival, Audience Award
- Hot Docs, Santa Barbara International Documentary Film Festival, VIFF, Krakow Film Festival, International Festival of Films on Art Montreal, Frameline San Francisco, Barcelona Documentary Film Festival, QDoc Portland, DocEdge New Zealand, MiFo Miami, San Francisco Dance Film Festival, Roze Filmdagen Amsterdam, CinemaQ Denver, OutFest Los Angeles
American Documentary Film Festival Palm Springs
- Bobbi Jo Hart
- Bobbi Jo Hart, Robbie Hart
- Bobbi Jo Hart
- Catherine Legault
- Jann Arden, Corey Hart, Daniel Toussaint