We're looking for engaged youth to join the CIFF Generation Next Film Previewer Program.
Going into its fourth year, the Calgary International Film Festival's Generation Next Previewer Program provides a unique opportunity for Calgary and area youth grades 9-12 with an interest in film and critical analysis to contribute to the Fall festival’s Generation Next program, our youth-focused film series.
Up to 10 youth will gain valuable experience volunteering with a major arts organization, discover a breadth of new international cinema and act as ambassadors for their peers, helping choose films for our Generation Next Series that speak to and engage with their generation.
Note: Many films in this program will deal with mature subject matter.
- Preview 3-4 feature-length films weekly (up to a maximum of 10 hours/week) over a period of four months (see Key Dates)
- Maintain a journal of notes and reflections
- Attend in-person training and discussion sessions with festival staff and peers
- Contribute to the selection of up to 6 films for the Generation Next Series
- Volunteer experience
- Professional experience in a non-profit setting as a festival previewer
- Skills improvement in public speaking
- General Admission tickets for the Fall Festival
- Learn about the historical and industry context of films through peer discussion, online research, social media strategy and possible field-trips
- Letters of Recommendation (pending program completion and performance)
- Applicants must have a passion for film, in any capacity including but not limited to, watching them, making them, reading or writing about them, and discussing them
- Strong verbal and written communication and analytical skills
- Strong time-management skills
- Ability to collaborate and cooperate with individuals of varied opinions, backgrounds and perspectives
- Reliable transportation to and from all program venues
- Students are required to have an internet-capable viewing device
Please complete the form linked below. A confirmation email will be sent to you upon successful submission of your application package.
GENERATION NEXT PREVIEWER APPLICATION FORM
Applications are due by March 5, 2021.
CIFF Discussion Sessions
March 16 - Introduction
March 30, April 13, April 27, May 11, May 25, June 8
September 23 - October 3
Please note that the above schedule is subject to change and additional dates may be added as they become finalized.