We're looking for engaged youth to join the CIFF Generation Next Film Previewer Program.
Going into its sixth year, the Calgary International Film Festival's Generation Next Previewer Program provides a unique opportunity for Calgary and area youth grades 9-12 with an interest in film and critical analysis to contribute to the Fall festival’s Generation Next program, our youth-focused film series.
Up to 10 youth will gain valuable experience volunteering with a major arts organization, discover a breadth of new international cinema and act as ambassadors for their peers, helping choose films for our Generation Next Series that speak to and engage with their generation.
Note: Many films in this program will deal with mature subject matter.
- Preview 4-5 feature-length films bi-weekly (up to a maximum of 10 hours/week) over a period of four months (see Key Dates)
- Write concise reviews on each film viewed
- Attend virtual training and bi-weekly discussion sessions with festival staff and peers
- Contribute to the selection of up to films for the Generation Next Series
- Volunteer experience
- Professional experience in a non-profit setting as a festival previewer
- Skills improvement in public speaking
- Volunteer Badge for the Fall Festival
- Learn about the historical and industry context of films through peer discussion, online research, social media strategy, and possible field-trips
- Letters of Recommendation (pending program completion and performance)
- Applicants must have a passion for film, in any capacity including but not limited to, watching them, making them, reading or writing about them, and discussing them
- Strong verbal and written communication and analytical skills
- Strong time-management skills
- Ability to collaborate and cooperate with individuals of varied opinions, backgrounds, and perspectives
- Students are required to have an internet-capable viewing device
Please complete the form linked below to apply.
GENERATION NEXT PREVIEWER APPLICATION FORM
Applications are due by March 24, 2023.
CIFF Discussion Sessions
April 25 - Introduction
May 2, May 16, May 30, June 13, June 27
September 21 - October 1
Please note that the above schedule is subject to change and additional dates may be added as they become finalized.