- In Cinema Only
The October 1 screening will be followed by a Q&A featuring director Ben West.
IMAGINING THE INDIAN: THE FIGHT AGAINST NATIVE AMERICAN MASCOTING examines the movement against the use of words, images and gestures that many Native Americans and their allies find demeaning and offensive in the world of sports and beyond. The current uprising against the misappropriation of Native culture is part of a larger, national reckoning of racial injustice. This movement has succeeded in dismantling Confederate imagery, toppling statues of Christopher Columbus and forcing corporate sponsors of Washington’s NFL team to demand it change its offensive name.
From directors Ben West and Aviva Kempner (THE LIFE AND TIMES OF HANK GREENBERG) comes this comprehensive portrait of those doing their part to expose the impact mascoting has on Native Americans and marginalized groups everywhere. Pointing a lens at the offensive words, images and gestures that offend Indigenous people and their allies, IMAGINING THE INDIAN asks us all to be mindful and do better.
- Aviva Kempner, Ben West
- Executive Producer
- Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation, Sam Manuel Band of Mission Indians, Jessica Sarowitz, Steve Sarowitz
- Kevin Blackistone, Sam Bardley, Aviva Kempner, Ben West, Yancey Burns
- Aviva Kempner, Ben West, Kevin Blackistone, Yancey Burns, Sam Bardley
- Michael Moser
- Barbara Ballow
- Dawn Avery, Larry Mitchell
- Suzan Shown Harjo, Eleanor Holmes Norton, Jamie Raskin, W. Richard West, Kevin Gover, Deb Haaland, Charles Mann, Billy Mills, Bronson Koenig, Marshall McKay