Antiquarian booksellers are part scholar, part detective and part businessperson, and their personalities and knowledge are as broad as the material they handle. They also play an under appreciated yet essential role in preserving history. THE BOOKSELLERS takes viewers inside their small but fascinating world, populated by an assortment of obsessives, intellects, eccentrics and dreamers.
Executive produced by Parker Posey, the film features interviews with some of the most important dealers in the business, as well as prominent collectors, auctioneers, and writers such as Fran Lebowitz, Susan Orlean, Kevin Young and Gay Talese. Both a loving celebration of book culture and a serious exploration of the future of the book, the film also examines technology’s impact on the trade, the importance of books as physical objects, the decline of used and rare bookstores, collecting obsessions, and the relentless hunt for the next great find.
And perhaps best of all, THE BOOKSELLERS offers a rare glimpse of many unique and remarkable objects, including the most expensive book ever sold, Da Vinci’s The Codex Leicester; handwritten Borges manuscripts; jeweled bindings; books bound in human flesh; essential early hip-hop documents; accounts of polar expeditions published with samples of real wooly mammoth fur; and many more.
Stream THE BOOKSELLERS until May 22.
HOW TO STREAM
As a non-profit charitable organization, your participation helps secure funds needed to put on the fall festival, the biggest event of its kind in Alberta.
- Click the purple STREAM NOW button. Note: you will move off the calgaryfilm.com site and be redirected to eventive.org.
- Click the purple UNLOCK NOW button.
- Create an account, enter your payment details.
- You can stream this film for $10 (CAD) within a 72 hour/3-day period.
Need help watching any of these titles? Detailed instructions can be found here. Ways of watching include:
- Eventive TV App on your Television (downloadable from the App Store)
- You can use Chromecast, Roku, Firestick or any similar device or smart TV, set your computer or mobile device to Apple Play or Chromecast to the TV device
- Mobile Device (iPhone, iPad, Android)
- New York Film Festival (World Premiere) 2019
St. Louis International Film Festival 2019
Miami Jewish Film Festival 2020
- D.W. Young
- Executive Producer
- Parker Posey
- Dan Wechsler, Judith Mizrachy,
- Peter Bolte
- David Ullmann