When their child goes missing, an unhappy couple in the midst of a divorce must face their increasingly toxic relationship.
Twelve year-old Alyosha (Matvey Novikov) cries "for no reason", according to his mother Zhenya (Maryana Spivak). However, the frequent screaming matches between Zhenya and her soon-to-be ex-husband Boris (Alexey Rozin) are startling in their viciousness, and both parents are guilty of neglecting their son in order to focus on new romantic prospects. It's only when Alyosha goes missing that the couple has to take a hard look at what their family has become. As an unconcerned police force ignores the case, and government bureaucracy and corruption leave Zhenya and Boris helpless, their anger turns to each other. Locked in a battle of rage and grief, the couple must face themselves and their toxic relationship as Alyosha's fate grows increasingly unclear.
Directed by Andrei Zvyagintsev (LEVIATHAN) and winner of the Cannes Jury Prize, LOVELESS is a sobering drama about what we lose when we hurt each other.
- Cannes, Jury Prize; International Cinephile Society Awards, Grand Prix; Munich Film Festival, Best International Film
- Cannes, Toronto International Film Festival, Cinéfest Sudbury International Film Festival, Munich Film Festival, New Horizons Film Festival, Melbourne International Film Festival, Telluride, Vancouver International Film Festival
- Andrey Zvyagintsev
- Executive Producer
- Vincent Maraval, Pascal Caucheteux
- Gleb Fetisov, Sergey Melkumov, Alexander Rodnyansky
- Andrey Zvyagnitsev, Oleg Negin
- Mikhail Krichman
- Anna Mass
- Production Design
- Andrey Ponkratov
- Evgeni Galperin
- Maryana Spivak, Aleksey Rozin, Matvey Novikov