When Mara (Dorotheea Petre) gets mysteriously pregnant, it arouses a lot of suspicion in her village. Mara is unmarried and she claims to have no father for the child. Mara’s village is on the Danube delta, a place where religion and superstition have a strong foothold. The residents of the small fishing village accuse her of witchcraft and blame her for all their problems. As a result, she is forced to leave the village and finds employment at Hotel Tekir.
At the hotel, she proposes using the sacred mud from the Danube to heal the hotel’s clients. One of the hotel’s wealthy guests, Lili (Elina Löwensohn, SCHINDLER’S LIST) hears about Mara and the sacred mud. Despite having plenty of money, Lili is infertile and cannot have children. Lili wants Mara to perform a miracle in order to get pregnant.
Ruxandra Zenide’s visually stunning, award-winning THE MIRACLE OF TEKIR immerses us into a mesmerizing world where tradition and modernity live side by side and the boundary between magic and realism is blurred.
- Zurich Film Festival, Emerging Swiss Talent Award
- Official Selection: Zurich Film Festival; Brussels Film Festival; Guadalajara Film Festival; Prague International Film Festival; Sofia International Film Festival
- Ruxandra Zenide
- Alexandre Iordachescu
- Ruxandra Zenide, Alexandre Iordachescu
- Hélène Louvart
- Nelly Quettier, Karine Soudan
- Aïsha Devi
- Dorotheea Petre, Elina Löwensohn, Bogdan Dumitrache, Viorica Geanta Chelbea, Mirela Oprisor, George Pistereanu
- Adrien Kessler