Submissions for CIFF 2021 ARE NOW OPEN.
CIFF 2021 Submissions Eligibility:
1) The film must have been completed after June 1, 2020, and not previously submitted to the Calgary International Film Festival.
2) FEATURE FILMS MUST be at minimum a Calgary premiere (i.e. the film cannot have been screened publicly in Calgary prior to the 2021 Festival, including broadcast versions of any length, other local film festivals, and cast/crew screenings.
3) FEATURE FILMS MUST NOT be or have been available online in any form within the province of Alberta (e.g. iTunes, VOD, Netflix).
4) SHORT FILMS - Priority is given to films that have not yet screened in Calgary and are not yet available online. We do accept competition-based created shorts, where screening online is part of the process (e.g. Telus STORYHIVE).
5) All applicable licenses and waivers of copyrights, moral rights, trademarks and other such intellectual property rights have been secured by the filmmaker(s) .
6) Films not in the English language must be subtitled in English.
7) Films previously submitted to the Festival in any stage of completion (i.e. films that were submitted as rough cuts) will not be reconsidered.
8) Submission fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.
9) Submission deadlines are at 11:59 PM MST of the posted date.
Generally, we aim to preview each film a minimum of two times. Some films may only be viewed once if by a programmer or member of programming staff or Artistic Director.
Waivers: We provide fee waiver codes for festival alumni & Alberta productions. Please contact us if needed.
Alberta Short Films: Films must meet the Alberta point requirements to qualify. (Total of 5 points required). In order for the fee to be waived filmmakers must contact the programming department to request a waiver PRIOR to submitting their film. Please contact email@example.com.
Albertan location (2 points)
Resident Albertan principle cast member (1 point)
Resident Albertan writer (1 point),
Resident Albertan producer (1 point),
Resident Albertan director (1 point),
Albertan funding source (2 points)
Student Short Film: Must be enrolled in or recently graduated from a post-secondary institution. Must send a copy of student i.d., transcript or signed letter from a professor on university/college letterhead to firstname.lastname@example.org OR upload a copy to Film Freeway.
Before you submit, please read our eligibility requirements
Questions? Give us a shout: email@example.com